In over 30 years of public accounting, I have never dealt with a tax attorney whose technical skills are so finely tuned and whose professional demeanor is so perfectly suited for dealing with clients in any type of situation. We have worked together closely on many complicated tax issues from estate planning to entity structuring to exit strategies for shareholders and partners. In each situation, he has comported himself with confidence, true professionalism and brilliant strategic skills. I have watched him enter emotionally charged situations and diffuse them with the assurance and temperance of an individual who possesses great negotiating capabilities. But the highest compliment I can pay to Lee Popkin is that his enthusiasm for strategic teamwork has inspired this 30-year veteran CPA to find joy in her career again.
Lee A. Popkin
Lee concentrates his practice in the areas of estate planning and business transactions with an emphasis on federal and state tax planning. He has experience in structuring qualified opportunity zone funds, probate administration, joint venture planning, business entity formation and mergers and acquisitions.
He has extensive knowledge and experience in these practice areas and has:
- Represented developers in structuring real estate joint ventures
- Represented investors and developers in the formation of qualified opportunity funds and qualified opportunity zone businesses
- Represented business owners in complex mergers and acquisition transactions
- Represented individuals in business succession and estate planning matters
- Represented personal representatives in probate administration
- Assisted nonprofit organizations obtain tax-exempt status
- Assisted business entities obtain exemption from Tennessee franchise and excise tax
- Advised entrepreneurs on business entity selection
- Advised dentists on the sale and acquisition of dental practices, including negotiating real estate agreements, and asset purchase agreements.
While completing his LL.M in taxation at New York University, Lee developed relationships with some of the leading tax professionals in the country. He has been a guest speaker at the University of Tennessee College of Law on the taxation of business entities. He is a regular instructor at continuing legal education seminars educating other lawyers on the topics of entity formation and the taxation of real estate transactions. Lee was a member of the committee which drafted the Tennessee Revised Uniform Limited Partnership Act and Chairman of the Subcommittee on Filings Associated with Formation.
Lee was born and raised in Knoxville. He graduated from Webb School of Knoxville in 2001. He is an avid sports fan and enjoys outdoor activities with his family, especially hiking in the mountains and trips to the lake.
LL.M., Taxation, 2009
New York University
J.D., University of Memphis School of Law, 2008
magna cum laude
Cecil C. Humphreys scholar
Research assistant to Professor Earnest F. Lidge III
Received awards in criminal procedure, fair employment and labor relations
B.S., Miami University, 2005
United States Tax Court
Tennessee Bar Association (Member Tax Law Section)
Knoxville Bar Association
Introduction Knoxville, 2010
Knoxville Estate Planning Council
Tax Liaison Committee
The Muse Knoxville, Board of Directors
Cityview Best Lawyers in Knoxville: Taxation, Sports & Entertainment, Securities Defense, and Aviation & Admiralty
Best Lawyers in America: Estate Planning
Super Lawyers; Mid-South Rising Stars: Tax